Here I go again! Only this time, into one of the most restricted islands in the world. Cuba. After missing an opportunity while living in Costa Rica, I jumped at the chance to go with the Kansas City Chamber of Commerce, People to People program.
Six exciting, entertaining and educational days await. Forty of us will spend the week
driving around the country in one of those obnoxious tourist buses. I absolutely loath those things as I always end up car sick even when I'm driving.
(No comments children!)
They are however, the only way we Americans can safely navigate our way through this country, rumored to be unchanged since the 1950's. Our packed itinerary begins in Havana where in one day we will be shuffled around to nine places.
I am excited to hear the variety of music, eye the colorful artwork and drink rum, rum, rum! I'm certain I'll even partake in a good Cuban cigar. From Havana we move to Santa Clara Art School and Cultural Center, the UNESCO Biosphere Reserve in Cayo Santa Maria, with a stop at the Che Guevara Museum to learn more about Cuba's beloved hero. The busy day is topped off with a salsa dance lesson. Perfection!
Day two and three takes us to Caibarien and Remedios to hear musicians and walk through the colonial jewel town of Remedios which was founded by the Spaniards in 1578.
On day four we will travel to the French founded town of Cienfuegos which will showcase the new architecture and urban planning that Cuba's newest cities have.
We will also be treated to a choral concert by locals.
On our fifth day we are off to Guanabacoa which is a rich religious town and will be blessed to visit colonial churches. I'm currently reading the Nick Adams Stories in honor and anticipation of our visit to Hemingway's farm, Finca La Vigia. What a thrill for me! Our last days are back in Havana to visit small area towns and a trip to a local school. I have packed plenty of crayons for the teachers to use as we were asked to bring school supplies.
As I sit in the Atlanta airport writing this, I am so excited to be afforded this
once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!
No comments:
Post a Comment