I have finally found a chair to sit down in. I can't believe it's been so long,
over a month, since I have said, "Hi". So many of you have been so gracious
with your compliments and encouragement. Thank you for that. And I have missed writing.
I was forlorn as I boarded my puddle jumper in Quepos to catch my flight in
San Jose, which took me to Houston and after running with too much luggage,
four overweight bags and two carry-ons, finally touching down in Kansas City.
Mi amigas, Erica and Roxanne, were waiting there to drive me to my car, which
was parked in my friend's garage. Unfortunately, the battery was dead. Erica is
a great sport and offered to drive me to my Dad's house. AHHHHHHH! Home Sweet Home at Aberdeen Village on the Independent Living floor. It was great to see Dad
and be hugged by my nephew so late into the night. After months of sleeping like a dog on a log, I fell into bed only to be reminded that this was the same bed with the same mattress that I slept on in junior high! Lot's of tossing and turning going on!
My trip home was full of adventure and fun. The first hysterical thing was watching a darling Tico boy, load my overweight luggage onto an old wobbly, rickety cart and go bump, bump, bumping around the pot holes. It was refreshing to have so much help from strangers as I tried to maneuver the bags through the snake line and up to the counter. I was leaving two days earlier than my original ticket said and got myself into the First Class line, expecting a smooth check in. Imagine my surprise when the agent, after giving me my boarding pass said, "Ms. Curry, that will be nine hundred and forty cents." "What?" I exclaimed! "Well, we are so sorry but you have 3 more bags than allowed and both of those bags are overweight."
How could this be? I specifically bought a first class ticket once I realized that I
that I would be able to take two bags on for free and that my two extra bags would cost $100.00 total. My reasoning was that I had to get these bags home as they held clothes that I didn't need in Quepos but would eventually want them in Kansas City.
While packing, I had to separate out many items that wouldn't even fit in the bags.
No worries! I am always willing to pass on clothes I can't fit into or no longer wear and as I continued to pack, I simply pile to pass onto my local friends.
There!, I thought. It will all fit. I was able to make room for all the gifts I was bringing back.
Back to the agent at the counter, imagine the look on his face when I shrieked,
"WHAT? $900.00! WHY IS IT $900.00? I'm flying first class so that I won't be charged for 3 extra bags, only 2 and I thought it was only $50.00 per overweight bag."
"Well, Ms. Curry, first of all, you are not flying first class, you are flying coach."
"COACH!!! That's not right! Look right here on the confirmation I have from your airline on my paper here!!!!!"
"Well Ms. Curry, that's your confirmation from two days ago on the 16th and on that flight you were in first class. When you changed your dates, you lost your seat."
"Lost my seat? I paid extra for first class because I needed the extra bag allowance.
Why did I lose my seat?"
"We-e-e-l-l-l-l, Ms. Curry, there aren't any seats in first class on this flight when and there weren't any in first class when you switched your ticket two weeks ago and the airline policy is to charge coach passengers $200.00 per extra bag and yadda yadda yadda for every overweight bag and there are airline taxes for leaving Costa Rica and airline taxes for landing in the United States and I am working overtime so they have to make extra money to pay me and these 2 bags here are very overweight so the airline is charging even more for that. I am so sorry for the inconvenience. I could check and see if we could put you on our flight leaving tomorrow."
" Tomorrow????? My father is sick and my son's getting married and I have to get home and run all over town finishing my Christmas shopping and trying to get a job and trying to find a house and move in with my Dad and then 3 days later move into my friend's house and then move into a hotel where I have to spend Christmas Eve alone without my children and then 2days after Christmas I have to leave Kansas City and fly to Chicago for my son's wedding. I can't leave on any other flight but this one. Can I fly stand by for first class?"
I need to fill you in on something happening at this time of my encounter with the
Continental Airline agent. The line behind me had gone from a family of five, to a long snake winding around those silly line dividers. I saw many, many faces pleading with me to stop talking and move on. I felt self conscience and suddenly in a hurry to pay my fines and leave. The agent was most apologetic for all the money I was spending to get my bags home and suggested trying to ask his supervisor if he could reduce the cost.
Coach proved to be as crowded as ever but I settled in with a good book and a friendly seat mate and it was a pleasant ride home. Houston, however, was a different story altogether. The plane was stopped within jumping distance from the jet way and we had to wait 10 minutes for the guy to flashlight us the final few inches. Then they were late opening the airplane door and since I was in coach, I had to wait a few minutes to disembark. By now, my connection time had shrunk from one and a half hours down to one hour. Rushing through an airport with two many carry-ons and holiday travelers was an exercise in studying Eric Dickerson run through the lines on SMU's football field in the late '70's. Of course baggage took for ever and there were no Red Caps to be found and I was on the last plane to Kansas City in the entire airport. As I struggled to load my overweight bags onto an overpriced, undersized rental cart, I caught the eye of a great looking, well built man in a uniform. Four swoons later I was able to help him to help me push and pull my bags through customs. I reached into my wallet to thank him and only saw one bill. It was Christmas and he was going home after months and months at war. I shook his hand, said Merry Christmas, as he told me he needed to run to catch his flight home to his wife and daughter. As I turned to wave goodbye, I was filled with pride in him and delight in me as I saw him look down and realize that I had given him a hundred dollar bill The look of gratitude and surprise was worth every penny.
It's a new year. Shouldn't generosity prevail?
No comments:
Post a Comment