On The Road Again

On The Road Again
The adventure begins with a drive.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Jungle Monkeys




     Alex and I have not seen a monkey actually.  We heard the dog eating Howler Monkey (that’s for you Jocelyn and Leslie) when we were on our zip line adventure and we were told by our neighbor that some monkeys went by a few days ago, but we’ve no actual sightings of any kind.  Still, we’ve had a thrill.
     It was our second night here, Friday, when the town comes alive with so much activity that more than 30 red taxis line up along one street.  We were tired, thus we stayed in.  I had made white rice seasoned with butter and a McCormick’s seasoning called, Perfect Pitch, Cajun. We cooked up some small chicken pieces dipped in a coating that was gluten free and looked a bit like corn meal, seasoned with sea salt and beer. To give it more taste we added softened onions with red peppers.  While this simmered I made Alex a salad of sliced cucumbers with sea salt.  At this point in my life, I’m not taking any chances with lettuce or any foods that can’t be peeled.  There was left over papaya from breakfast so I added that for my salad.  Dinner is served on a wooden table made my Efrain, my neighbor. The table looks out onto the jungle.  It was a delicious meal if I do say so myself!
     Afterward, Alex and I retreated to the front porch to rock in the cowhide and cenisaron wooden rocking chairs. There are several trees
going extinct, and this is one of them. My neighbor told me in Spanish that one can only use this wood if it comes from a fallen tree. There, on the porch we spent a pleasurable two hours talking and listening to the night noises. Alex has a keen mind and is full of creative ideas and inventions. I was honored to be in his company.  It certainly was a perfect time to be without technology.  Without phones, internet, radio or television, we are left to share our ideas and stories. 
     Heaven.

Until I went inside. Flapping around the door was a large moth that caused a large sound to come out of my mouth.  Alex came running to the rescue only to see an enormous brown spider, literally the size of his fist, right by his shoe.
We both screamed and jumped back and started running for the kitchen.
I guess we thought the spider would leep on us or jump on our legs or something.  We were hysterical to look at, all childlike in our fear.
My friend Erica can relate, but the rest of you would have been in stitches watching us try to figure out how to get it out of the house.
     I grabbed a tupperwere and Alex threw it over the spider.  I took this picture but you'll just have to trust me. It was HUGE!

     I am sending you this post from the Cafe Milagro, one of a few places
in Quepos that have Wi-Fi.  We are drinking ourselves silly with espressos
and coffees but the people know my name and what I like to drink. 
We watch the world come and go and already I feel at home.
     (In an aside, the 3 dogs did arrive today.  Gizmo has lost weight and Lucy
was in shock but Peachy the trouper seems happy to be reunited with me.
My little casa in the jungle if finally complete.)
     Tomorrow we surf. There are so many stories I can't keep up.
Adios!