On The Road Again

On The Road Again
The adventure begins with a drive.

Friday, October 28, 2011

Creatures

Where the Wild Things Are



Right in Your Front Yard
This is the stairwell that Kitty loved to sit on.  From here he had a view out three windows and was out of the way of those pesky dogs.  Kitty took six weeks to adjust to this house by the river. The collection of dogs out here barked forever, keeping him on edge.  The one next door  barked exactly at 6:30 a.m. only stopping for breakfast.  My favorite activity was watching the horses. There were several farms with horses of their own but there was also a herd that roamed freely, in and out of everybody's property, stopping here, in front of 
my house on a regular basis. They seemed comfortable around humans but they never let me get close. Could have something to do with Lucy barking her own head off every time a caballo (horse) came around. 
     Nevertheless, I was captivated and loved coming home in the taxi, looking for them in all  their usual spots, trying to determine where they were eating today. Whose pasture were they calling home?   There were two fouls, always within reach of their Mommas'.  One was a funny looking mottled grey and white and brown.  He was so ugly he was cute. 
      If you look closely to this picture, you'll notice that the tail of the white horse has been cut short.  They were all like that and when I finally learned enough Spanish to ask someone about it, he shook his head and said the people like it better that way.  He was, by the way, a fine looking man who rode three horses of his own. He practiced daily in the deserted soccer field, next to the St. Antonio school with only 7 students. I was able to watch him occasionally and it appeared that he was doing dressage. But that was impossible.  Whatever he was doing, I could picture him high in the saddle, dressed to the nines, out for a ride.  If only.
     If you ride, you'll notice he doesn't use a bit.  Doesn't need them, he says.


This side of my life in Costa Rica is over now. So, I am having my Tico friends from the Finca over Saturday at 4:00 for a cook out and swim in the pool.  Who knew how complicated this would be? Been to three stores for paper plates (I only have 4 plates. I have 14 coming over), 4 stores for chicken (waiting until Saturday's outdoor market to buy those) I've gone through several recipes that I can't prepare because they don't have the ingredients.  Found my kind of salsa and Heinz ketchup.  That's progress. Except I ate most of the salsa "tasting" it. These are the simple things in life. The real fun is in the exploring, the meeting and greeting of such very different people.


     Yesterday I took Lucy and went to the beach. We went at 10:00 in the morning due to the heat, the rain and the high tide. By 1:30 the tide had crept up the wide beach to just under the shade trees.
Lucy was worn out from chasing balls and sticks and running against the waves.  I had walked with her clear to the bend, where it's rumored to be the hunting grounds of some rather nasty crocodiles or alligators. Never could tell the difference.  Lucky for us we didn't see any. They apparently sleep until dusk.  Well, good thing we weren't staying until dusk.  We took our favorite taxi home, rinsed off practiced our spanish.  
     Now that was fun.






p.s. thanks to all of you who have supported me with your comments.  They inspire me!

No comments:

Post a Comment