why people might seem tough on the outside but are really very sensitive on the inside,
where it counts. I would show everybody how easy it is to go without the perks of living
a good life in America. How quickly one can adjust to poverty and heat.
How easy it is to forget your iPhones and Nintendo's and BMW's. Why hot water
isn't important when there isn't any air conditioning to begin with and jumping
into a cold shower is the best part of the day.
I would show you how quickly you can make new friends and why it's better
not to care what your job is. I would take you around this small town with only 6
blocks and introduce you to the the taxi guys in my life who are on call and are
always checking in with me. I would take you to the libreria where they'll call you by
name and help you print your documents or sell you a pen. If you've brought your child
into the store you can pick up a back pack or stickers or even toys. We could check in
with one of the many small grocers or go to the fruit stands for bananas so sweet
I eat them for dessert or we could eat more and more mamons than I thought possible.
The mamon is round, red, hairy on the outside. It cuts easily to open up a large
white, grape type thing that is both tart and sweet. You pop it into your mouth like a
grape with seeds and spit out the large nut inside. Lucy and I can't get enough!
Spend a day in Quepos and realize that everybody is happy and nobody yells at
anyone and there isn't any strife or torment of the soul. In spite of all the missing
creature comforts, people still help one another and smile with their eyes when they
see you and want to see your needs be met first. The pace is slower and while that might
seem like an irritant, it is actually the best thing for high blood pressure, white hair
and bad moods.
If I could, I would invent an air freshener that emits soothing lavender and
eucalyptus and lemon and lime and prozac so that the world would be a mellower
place complete with people who really really know how to live.