On The Road Again

On The Road Again
The adventure begins with a drive.

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Greetings from Class

     I am writing to you now from my second story classroom. There are 14 table-type desks, all with wooden tops and iron legs. The wooden chairs must be left over from WWII as they are bloody uncomfortable. Each minute my butt grows more and more numb and my back 
has begun to hurt.  I have been popping Advil like crazy. Today the instructor asked me if I was ok.  She's young and adorable with a cute accent from South Carolina.  She is the current director and isn't any older than my son Jack, and he's 28!
     My head is spinning from all the information that has been stuffed inside my brain.
First, there's the dynamics of having only 7 students and 2 instructors.  Matt is a tall, 6'3, fellow who loves to wear jeans. He was in Iran last year and wants a teaching certificate so that he can go to back.  He's 33.  Tony has incredibly long lashes and a laid back attitude that comes from being well loved in a wealthy Italian family.  He is 23 and wants to go to learn Russian after this.  Audrey is a prim and proper art teacher who jogs in this heat and wants to stay within a Spanish speaking country.  She is 25.  Natalie is from an island off the coast of England and is a natural beauty but seems a bit overwhelmed from it all. She leaves class to drop essential oils on her tongue.  At 37 she seems a bit fuzzy about all this.
Lastly is Stephen from Australia.  He worked in IT for most of his life and made it well known that he doesn't want to answer any more questions about how to make charts and graphs!
(This was directed at me, naturally.)  I have spent the most time with him and enjoy his company and his stories. He's 50.
     What does that make me? The oldest in the group and certainly the one with the most complications. Living 35 minutes from town is quite a challenge.  My day starts around three in the morning when all my animals are shifting around on my bed, jockeying to get a better place to sleep. By 5:30 a.m. it's not the rooster making noises but the dog next door who appears to be the neighborhood alarm call.  Sometime around 6:30, Efrion, that hero of mine,
begins to hammer or use the electric saw or start his four wheeler to venture into the jungle.
I don't get upset with him however.  He saved me.   Sometime last week I was in bed reading when I noticed that Lucy had gone completely still. Not even a breath.  She was focused on the wall behind me so naturally I turned around to see what was so fascinating.
                                   WOAH!!!!!WOW!!!!WHATWASIT!!!!!   
   Just a scorpion is all.  I jumped higher than an Olympic pole vaulter and screamed
quite loud, which is quite loud. 
    "Efrion, Efrion" !!!!!!!!!!!!
     "Ayude me! Ayude me" 
     He came clamering down the stairs and rapidly asked what was wrong.  Both of us were in our jammies and I told him to come inside.  We ran upstairs, don't ask how but I had presence of mind to grab a tupperwere containter.  He calming saw the nasty thing, Lucy was still standing guard, and quickly and quietly scooped it into the tupperwere and set it outside, far from the house.  He came back to see if I was ok and informed me, "Solamente es un pequeno".     Well thanks. I don't want to see one any bigger.